Our History

Metropolitan A.M.E. Church was founded April 3, 1901 by the Rev. W.D. Wisher, in the home of Mrs. Arnett, 239 West 41st Street, New York City. It is interesting to note that when the church moved from the home of Mrs. Arnett, it moved to 62 West 135th Street where we are presently located.  However, that property was demolished and the Lincoln Theater was erected in its place.  And so the church again was on the move until finally relocating to our present location.  Since 1952 our congregation was led by Rev. J. L. Joiner, Rev. R.L. Pruitt, Rev. Robert L. Foley, Rev. Simon P. Bouie, Rev. Jessie J. Jackson, Rev. William L Cody, Rev. David L. Randolph, Rev. Robert O. Bailey, Rev. James E.F. Lawrence, Rev. Darnell Montgomery and now the jewel of our 110 years, our first female Pastor, The Rev. Dr. Kim W. Anderson. In years of service, Metropolitan is the second oldest A.M.E. congregation in Manhattan.  Our history has been a glorious one.  We continue to support causes, concerns, and activities in our community.  Some of our former Pastors have become Bishops and Presiding Elders.  Many of our members have become leaders in the Connectional Departments at different levels, “And it doth not yet appear what we shall be.”